This morning I read a great/amazing/inspirational post by Ez over at Creature Comforts. She started an online conversation about the “vast cavern between true reality and the presentation of “reality” on blogs.”
I read over 70 design blogs everyday, follow too-many-to-count boards on Pinterest, check my Instagram feed several times a day and do my own pinning/posting/photographing to boot. People, it’s overwhelming. The amount of beauty out there is amazing – the homes I see, the fashion I love, the design I covet – it’s all amazing. And honestly it makes me feel less than worthy to be blogging about it. My home does not look like this. My child does not look like this. My craft area DOES NOT even vaguely resemble this. We are normal. Mostly. But I feel like a hypocrite. A lot. So to pull back the curtain on my life, here are some things I am afraid to tell you:
- I am lazy. It may not seem like it, but I am. Some days it’s enough for me to work full time, come home and cook a meal for my 14 month old, and then cook another meal for me and my husband after the baby goes to bed. My once meticulously kept house has lost it’s luster amid strewn toys, a dirty high chair, piles of cloth diapers to be washed, animals to take care of and, oh, myself to wash and feed. I post about tons of amazing craft projects to be done, and never do them. I’ve had a company idea brewing for a few months now, and can’t seem to work on it. Ever.
- I may have postpartum anxiety issues. I have come to terms with the fact that I may need to talk to someone. Every time my husband and son walk out the door I think it may be the last time I ever see them. I love them so much, and I think of them as my whole world. I can’t imagine life without either one of them, so naturally my anxious mind goes to the worst of places when I see them off in the morning.
- I am a hot and cold blogger. Sometime I have amazing ideas for posts and never get around to posting about it. Then I will do 3 days straight of posts. Then nothing. Repeat.
- My husband and I had a chance to move to Barcelona a few years back and it fell through. The disappointment was one of the hardest things I have ever had to process and deal with.
- You know the term, “Jack of all trades; master of none”? That’s me. I can do everything enough to get by.
- I’m a hard person to like. I had a rough childhood, and I’ve come to terms with the fact that I may not be the easiest person to get along with. I have changed, slowly, but I recognize it might not be enough for some people. I am working on getting over that and moving on. Slowly, but surely.
So what are you afraid to tell everyone? Or even just tell yourself?